Nearly a year ago, I wrote this post about my fireplace conundrum. To sum it up, I hated it and couldn’t decide what to do with it. Paint some of it? Paint all of it? Cover it up? I allowed myself to stew in my obsession and ended up making the best move, which was no move at all.
First, here’s a look back on the desperate lives of my fireplace.
09.2009: The fireplace during our first viewing of the house. Its previous owner didn’t fare much better.
12.2009: Christmas time and I was desperately trying to make this focal wall work. Duct tape is a difficult finish to match.
11.2010: The wood floor is installed. The fireplace looks better, but still desperate.
12.2010: Christmas time again. The furniture is improving and the first good move was made with the fireplace: relocating the round mirror to another area.
2.2011: I saw the light and the biggest improvement was made for the fireplace: roller shades were installed on the two adjacent windows. The light balanced out the darkness of the fireplace and its next of kin, the bookcase.
And now the fireplace’s current state. Not desperate. Simple.
The moral of the blog post is that sometimes, oftentimes, less is more.
I will check back once we have used the fireplace, hopefully with no flaming cat stories to tell.